Last Thursday, June 6, Arizona Science Center celebrated National Yo-Yo Day with an afternoon of hands on yo-yo activities and demonstrations from the group All Yo-Yo.
Below are some yo-yo facts and pictures from our fun event!
- The yo-yo is the second oldest toy that we know about dating back to 450 B.C.
- Using a metal yo-yo versus a plastic yo-yo can increase the spinning time of a sleeping yo-yo up to 10 minutes
- The yo-yo was taken into space for the first time onboard a U.S. space shuttle in 1985
- 13-year-old Harvey Lowe was the winner of the first ever World Yo-Yo Competition in London in 1932
- The yo-yo is thought to have been invented in either China or Greece based on archeological evidence